Fridge <span class="highlight">Temperature</span>/ <span class="highlight">battery</span> isolator

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1705 Views:1965 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys and gals, Two questions this time:
1. Having just bought a new 40Lt engel, I am unsure what temperature you should set for refridgeration. I thought it might be around 5 degrees. I would also like to know the temp that frozen foods should be kept at.

2. Has anyone used the battery isolator from 4WD systems or have any comments. I am a little worried that upon stoping for the night both the main and aux will discharge until the main hits a pre determined level(to be able to start the car). Is there any disadvantages or advantages to this. Thanks in advance Smutty.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00
I have just installed a Rotronics MH10 to my 4x4 and this works really well 32L engel I also suppliment with 60 w solar panel for long stays . 80 AH Deep cycle battery .

4 Deg C or below is accectible
AnswerID: 5647

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

If both your batteires are permanently wired together, then you should look into an isolator to prevent your fridge from drawing current from your main battery. There are many types that suit difference purposes and budgets (see the many previous questions).

As for temperature, a fridge should normally cycle between 0 and 4 degrees, freezers are normally around -15 degress (I think).

You should be aware that the bottom of the fridge will be colder than the top, so keep your fruit and veges up higher and meat down the bottom.
AnswerID: 5651

Reply By: andrew - Tuesday, Aug 13, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Smutty, The new Engel 40Lt fridge I have has the settings "cool" then goes to "ref 1" then "2" and so on. Dont know what region you live in but up here in the North, I use it in the "ref-1" setting which is at 4 dec C. That is the reccomended temp for dairy products and fruit and veg etc. Setting the thermostat any higher (thus lowering the temp) will only freeze the food items touching the sides. For a genuine freeze, set it to "5 freeze" which will make the compressor run hard & long (unless you are camping in the snow) and thus run your battery down quickly. It sounds like you have a duel battery system but not used to the isolating set up in between the two. If your isolating system leaves the main or cranking battery with at least 12.6volts and only then uses power from the 2nd battery (provided the fridge, lights etc are hooked uo to the 2nd battery), then you have nothing to worry about. The main battery will remain untouched overnight and be ready to fire up the beast in the morning.
AnswerID: 5659

Reply By: smutty - Friday, Aug 23, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 23, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your replies guys. The beer went down fast at 4 degrees. Cheers
AnswerID: 5957

Sponsored Links